Preschool, Children, and Family Ministries
Our ministries with preschoolers and children are sincerely valued by our church body. Children are a beautiful part of the body of Christ. At LaFayette Baptist Church, we design intentional ministry opportunities to meet our kids on their level. All of our volunteers are background checked and trained in their ministry area. Our Sunday School teachers are not only background checked, but they are also trained in Darkness to Light’s Stewards of Children. Our mission is to provide each child opportunities to meet Christ and to cultivate his or her relationship with God.
Below you will find descriptions of ministries that have traditionally provided. The pandemic has resulted in all sorts of adjustments. As every church has had to do, we have looked for new ways to continue to fulfill our mission of ministry with preschoolers, children, and their families. Hopefully these descriptions will give you a clear sense of our commitment to ministering to these that are in our care.
**COVID-19 Update: As of Sunday May 23, 2021, we have resumed in-person Sunday School with our preschoolers and children. All persons, children and leaders alike, are expected to wear masks/face coverings at all times during the Sunday School hour. In addition we are following a variety of safety protocols regarding physical distancing and sanitizing of our spaces throughout the time we are meeting on Sunday and between Sundays as well. We are so fortunate to have a group of educators leading in Sunday School who have helped us to develop protocols that we feel allow us to meet in-person as safely as possible.
Preschool Ministry (Babies-Kindergarten):
- Extended Teaching Care: This ministry for babies – Kindergartners meets during our worship hour from 9:30-10:45am. During Extended Teaching Care (ETC), preschoolers have a review of their previous week’s Sunday School lesson and enjoy games, crafts, stations play, outside play, and a snack. Preschoolers are also welcome to attend worship with their parents.
- Sunday School: Sunday School meets following worship from 10:45am to noon. We currently have three classes for our preschoolers divided by their age. We use the LifeWay preschool Sunday School curriculum for each of our classes. Sunday School focuses on Biblical learning and life application, and our preschoolers are eager to learn.
- Sunday Evening Discipleship: When the adults have discipleship courses in the fall and spring, we always have a course for preschoolers and children. Our Sunday evening class meets from 5:30-7pm. This class is known as Kid Zone. Including play, drama, music and snacks, Kid Zone is designed to help our preschoolers with biblical principles and learning.
Children’s Ministry (1st-6th Grade):
- Worship: Beginning in the 1st grade, our school-age children attend worship. To help introduce our first graders to worship, we offer a Welcome to Worship class and in-worship recognition. Worship contains many elements that allow our children the opportunity to worship God in their own way.
- Sunday School: Sunday School meets following worship from 10:45am to noon. We currently have three classes for our children divided by their grade level. We use the LifeWay children’s Sunday School curriculum for each of our classes. Sunday School focuses on Biblical learning and life application, and our children excel in their Bible skills learning through Sunday School.
- Sunday Evening Discipleship: When the adults have discipleship courses in the fall and spring, we always have a course for preschoolers and children. Our Sunday evening class meets from 5:30-7pm. This class is known as Kid Zone. During Kid Zone, our children have the opportunity to learn about how we live for Christ. This course engages children in practical ways to live out their faith.
Family Ministry and other events:
- Connections: Our family Connections class meets during the school year on Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30pm. This class is open to preschoolers, children, and their families. Some of our parents and grandparents attend the adult Bible study or choir, but for those who are seeking to learn and engage with their children, this is a great class to do just that. In Connections, participants explore missions, work on Bible skills, share in a devotional, and play games together each week.
- Vacation Bible School: Vacation Bible School is our greatest outreach event at LBC. We always look forward to this busy week of songs, crafts, recreation, Bible study, worship, and missions. Vacation Bible School is typically scheduled in June, and our VBS is for ages Pre-K through completed 6th VBS is a whole-church effort, and we always love having our youth and adults serve in this ministry.
- PassportKids! Camp: Passport is a 4-day, 3-night camp experience for completed 3rd-6th Passport offers an incredible opportunity for spiritual growth, missions experiences, camp activities, and worship designed specifically for children. We begin planning for camp in December of each year.
- Preschool Fellowship: We often plan fun events for preschoolers and their families to come to together. These events are wonderful times of fellowship for our little ones, and we always have great snacks.
- Preschool and Children’s Christmas Choirs: In November and December, we offer our older preschoolers (age 2 and up) and our children the opportunity to participate in Advent worship. Our preschoolers rehearse their Christmas music at the end of Sunday School, and our children rehearse on selected Sundays and Wednesdays.
- Children’s Mission Day: In November, our 1st-6th graders take a day trip to attend the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of NC’s Children’s Missions Day. This one day experience shows our children how they can be on mission for God right now.
- During the year, we always plan other events for our families. Our church calendar will have more information about events like our Grandparents Party, All Saints Celebration, movie nights, parties, etc.